Friday, January 04, 2019

The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo

This is one of those YA books I am going to tell all my adult friends to read...it's a beautiful story told in exquisite language. I love the characters, the complex interplay of religion, and the power of reconciliation and hope. A nuanced coming of age story--I'm going to recommend it to mature 8th graders on up. I read it on the same day that I finished Angie Thomas' new book On the Come Up. There were so many similarities it's almost eerie--it would make a great pairing to talk about Xiomara and Bri and their relationship to poetry and to their mothers. Although they come from very different backgrounds, they both have learned to use anger to ward off danger. They both have brothers that are key figures in their lives. Their words are their dreams and they speak out boldly and get in trouble when other people interpret their words. Would Bri and Xiomara be friends? This would be a great debate question for a book club.

No comments: