Sunday, January 27, 2019

Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson

They say she murdered a baby when she was nine years old. Mary was sent to prison and is now in a group home. The justice and rehabilitation systems have never supported her and she has been left to raise herself in the absence of caring adults. To say her life is bleak is an understatement. One bright spot in her life is her boyfriend Ted, and when Mary finds herself pregnant she has a reason to try to change her situation. Through court documents and Mary's memories we learn more about the murder of the baby and Mary's role in it. I'm sure many teenagers will relate to this book and will be drawn in by the mystery, the glimpse of a girl with a tragic life, and the big revelations that unfold. This book has had a lot of positive reviews. I have to admit that I had trouble liking it, partly because I felt like it pushed all the boundaries of edgy teen fiction (language, sexuality, violence, it's all here), and partly because I just couldn't find a redeeming quality in Mary and I like to like my protagonists. I do think there are many readers who will love this book (probably for the same reasons that I struggled with it)--but I advise middle school teachers and librarians to read it before recommending it to middle school students. Recommended for readers 9th-up. 

No comments: