Thursday, January 03, 2019

Odd One Out by Nic Stone

Nic Stone's second book takes a deep dive into the lives of three teenagers who share deep bonds with each other and who are exploring and questioning their sexual identities. This is a relationship book--a deep dive into Coop and Jupiter--teens who have been best friends their whole lives and how things change when a new friend, Rae, enters the scene. Suffice it to say that boy crushes on lesbian best friend, while new female friend has feelings for both boy and girl. Stone is a strong writer and she kept me interested and involved in these teens' stories. There is a whole new world of books that celebrate diversity and I many teens will find inspiration and companionship with these characters. As a middle school librarian, I will not be putting this in my library due to the sexual content, but I wholeheartedly recommend it to teens and young adults.

No comments: