Monday, June 08, 2009

War Horse by Michael Morpurgo


I love Michael Morpurgo's books, especially Private Peaceful, but I never had read this one before, probably because I knew it was narrated by a horse. But I had a 7th grade student read it and love it so I decided to try it myself. Joey, the horse telling the story, was a farm horse before he was taken to be in the World War I cavalry. In this book you see the horrors of war through Joey's eyes and limited perspective. Joey is repeatedly a victim of human violence but through it all finds numerous kind, empathetic human beings who care for him and love him. Any realistic book about World War I battles might just be too much to take—it was a horrible war. But through the eyes of Joey the story is accessible to kids and readers will definitely sympathize with Joey and hope that he is someday reunited with his beloved master. Recommended for readers who want to read about war but who might not be ready for more gritty books such as Soldier X or Fallen Angels.

2 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

I had trouble with Katherine Robert's I Am The Great Horse because it was from the point of view of Alexander the Great's horse Bucephalus. I didn't think there would ever be another one from this type of view point!

Anonymous said...

this is a really cool book got to read it!!!