Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Mirror's Tale by P.W. Catanese

Have you ever wondered about whatever happened to fairy tale characters after the "happily ever after" ending? This book explores the aftermath of the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Many years later the same mirror that the evil stepmother used takes control of a teenage boy and drives him to almost destroy his twin brother and his own kingdom. This is a fairy tale story, but unlike most of this genre, this one is aimed at male readers. The main characters are twin brothers who switch places to deceive their parents. One turns evil and the other has to learn to use his brains and step up to the challenge of one day inheriting his father's title. I thought it went on a little bit too long, and while I enjoyed some of the fairy tale elements, it just didn't enthrall me like some other fairy tale books I've read. Still, there's a lot of action and magic and I think some fantasy readers will enjoy it.

No comments: