Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Weedflower by Cynthia Kahodata


This is the first novel I have read about the experiences of the Japanese in the World War II internment camps. Sumiko is the main character, and the book starts on Dec. 6, 1941, the day before Pearl Harbor is attacked. Sumiko and her family are Americans of Japanese descent, but are taken from their homes and forced to live in what are basically prison camps just because they are Japanese. Her grandfather and uncle are taken to a camp in North Dakota, and she and her family are sent to a camp in the desert of Arizona. This is a quiet book, well-written and descriptive, told through the eyes of an introspective young girl. I appreciated the book for it's portrayal of history, but I have to admit I didn't find the plot very compelling. I do recommend it for students who want to learn about the time period, but be a patient reader and don't expect a lot of action or twists and turns.

No comments: