Monday, February 12, 2007

Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce


Well, I finally read my first Tamora Pierce book. And it was good! There are some fantasy books that I love, but I'm just not drawn to them like I am to historical or realistic fiction. Anyway, I can now see why so many good readers devour books by Tamora Pierce. Alanna is a strong, heroic young girl who wants to be a knight, but in her world, like ours, it's not something girls do. So she disguises herself as a boy and goes to the palace for training. She is small and gets picked on, but she works hard and has a gift for magic, and so she triumphs eventually. It's a very convincing fantasy world without dragons or strange creatures. It's almost a combination of medieval times and a fantasy world with sorcerers and magic. This is a good starting point to get into Tamora Pierce's books because she wrote many more books about the land of Tortall.

2 comments:

Cathy Kyle said...

My sister and I LOVE Tamora Pierce. We're both librarians from western NY and we're getting really excited because she's coming to our teen book festival. http://teenbookfestival.org/
I really like how Alanna takes her life into her own hands in order to become what she wants. Go girl!

Anonymous said...

I love Tamora Pierce. She has Such great liteture. I was drawn to this book and finished it in a day at my cabin. I find it so interesting that Tamora pierce writes about the power of Girls. GIRL POWER!