Saturday, June 09, 2018

Spy School by Stuart Gibbs

Ben is recruited for the CIA's top secret spy school due to his advanced math skills, but it turns out that he wass not really chosen for his abilities. He's a pawn in someone's game, and when an assassin comes after him, he is thrust into some serious espionage. He is aided by Erica, a 15-year-old student who kicks some serious butt as a spy. Reading this out loud to my daughter I was struck by some sexism--I could do without Stuart Gibbs' descriptions of girls (all spy girls don't really have to be "hot", do they?), but like his other books (Space Case, Belly Up) they are fun mysteries with underdog protagonists (and pretty sophisticated vocabulary). Sixth graders love these books, as does my own fourth grader (a hard-to-please girl). I enjoyed reading this aloud to her and trying to figure out who the mole was going to be.

No comments: