Saturday, November 19, 2011

Where She Went by Gayle Foreman

I really liked If I Stay when I read it several years ago. I still recommend it to students frequently. This follow-up book from the point of view of Adam, Mia's troubled ex-boyfriend is absolutely beautiful and even better than the first book. Gayle Foreman takes us three years into the future. Adam is a bona fide rock star with a full slate of issues, Mia is a Julliard graduate beginning her solo cello career, and the two haven't spoken in almost three years. How and why did this happen? Who broke up with whom? In a novel rich with dialogue and emotional depth we get to hear Adam and Mia's conversation on the night they see each other again and go on a long tour of New York City by night. The book is practically written in real time which is quite unique. It reminded me of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, two movies that I love that are also consist of dialogue between two likable characters on whom you just want to eavesdrop. As with If I Stay, this is a young adult book and I recommend it to readers in grades 8 and up.

No comments: