Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Mother-Daughter Book Club by Heather Vogel Frederick

I wanted to love this book. I really did. It's a great concept. Four girls and their mothers form a book club and read classic books. As they read their lives begin to reflect the plots of the books they are reading together. In the first book they read Little Women (an old favorite of mine). The girls are not actually all friends. Their mothers have forced them into this group and there are some old conflicts to be worked through. Each girl has some private struggles to deal with as well. The problem to me with this book is that I just didn't like the girls all that much. The book switches perspectives to all four girls and I didn't feel sympathetic toward any of them. And their mothers weren't exactly believable either. I especially disliked the fat jokes the mothers made about another girl's mother (even though she was a nasty character). It was not a terrible book. I did like the connections to Little Women and I am going to read another one and give it another chance. It just wasn't a great book and that is what I was hoping it would be. The fourth installment in this series is based on the Betsy-Tacy series of books which is my all-time favorite series of books and I will be giving that book a try soon. It's on my nightstand now. 

No comments: