Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Wow. I couldn't put this book down. Just imagine a horrible future in which a totalitarian government makes teenagers fight to the death in a reality show style game. It's entertainment for people who live in The Capitol but it's a brutal way to hold power over the poor people living in the other twelve districts. Our main characters are Katniss and Peeta, a girl and a boy from District 12. They are the unlucky losers in the annual lottery to see who is selected for The Hunger Games. Katniss can hunt and trap and shoot a bow and arrow so she seems to have a chance at survival. Peeta is strong and good hearted but doesn't seem to have a lot of survival skills.  Peeta obviously likes Katniss, but she doesn't want to make a new friend and then be forced to kill him. This book has lots of heart-stopping action but what I liked the most were the relationships. It's disturbing, but I think teens (grade 7 and up) will love it. I can't wait for the rest of the trilogy. (If you like books about how the government can turn evil, also read Unwind by Neal Shusterman.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read this book and i didn't really like it! I have a post on it on my blog!

I just think that it is weird that people fight to the death for food! But that is my opinion!

Good job opn the site!

Reading and Technology Rants said...

I also loved this book. I thought it would be the the highlight of our middle school book fair. I think when it comes out in paperback, it will be a major seller. I especially liked the way the audience was manipulated. I will never watch another reality tv show in the same way again.

Anonymous said...

this book was amazing and very hard to put down i loved it.