Sunday, March 04, 2007

La Linea by Ann Jaramillo


La Línea is the border between Mexico and the U.S., and Miguel has dreamed of crossing that line for years. His parents live in California and he dreams of finally going to be with them. The journey is incredibly dangerous, but 15-year-old Miguel is ready to risk his life for his dream. He doesn't count on his younger sister sneaking away with him and almost ruining his plans. The two teenagers face many dangers, including the "mata gente" (people killer) freight train, and the near-deadly journey through the desert. Many students in the U.S. will have absolutely no idea what people go through to come to this country. They also probably have no understanding of what makes people so desperate to get here. This book is all about teens and survival (and many readers will enjoy it for it's tense life-and-death moments). It is not about why immigrants come or whether or not they should cross the border illegally. They are kids desperate to find their parents. I think that young people who have immigrated to the United States will appreciate this book because they will see their own journeys reflected here. But I also think it should be read by readers who don't know anything about immigration. It will change how they see things. Another fine book about crossing the border is Journey of the Sparrows by Fran Leeper Buss. Here is one of my wishlist items for middle school literature—that we have more books about Latino kids that don't deal with immigration. Why not a mystery or a fantasy or a humor book with Latino and Latina characters?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been assigned this book to read, and I hate it. It is incredibly boring. I can't even get past the first few pages without falling asleep. This book stinks !

Anonymous said...

I recommend House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. Although it deals with some heavy issues and is science fiction, most of my Limited English Students really get it!

Anonymous said...

I love this book. It gives me an insight of the experiences some of my classmates have endured. Easy reading.

Anonymous said...

i PIcked this book because i liked the title because it was in spanish and since im Latina i found intresting. I haven't read this book yet but it sounds very good and i like to read about life and death moments!!!

Anonymous said...

we've read this book in school and it was very boring. the spanish words are annoying while reading La Línea. I wouldn't recommend it!

Anonymous said...

I am reading this book outloud to my students and they love it. It is a great book and has allowed my students to understand why what immigrants go through just to have a better life. I ahve even created activites the students can do with the reading.

Anonymous said...

i read this book in less than 4 days it didnt take me that long to read it. it is a better book than some other books i have read. if u are planning to read this book you should have a spainsh/engish dictionary beside you, if you dont understand spainsh.it is an easy book to read because i know spainsh. P.S i was here 1/5/2010

Anonymous said...

I'm Reading This Book Right Now And I Found It Very Intresting!:D
I Like it! And Plus I Have To Read A Book For My Reading Requirement And This Books Is GooD

Anonymous said...

ive beggan reading la linea, great book so far wish to find mo info on the artist

Anonymous said...

i read this book when I was in 8th grade now I am in 10th grade and this book has been my favorite ever since. I think this book gives people an idea of what people have to do to get here in the U.S. I really recommend this book to all the people. This book is not boring if you are interested in books like this. and it does have spanish words but they are not has hard to pronounce. I loved the book and if you don't like it well to BAD for you!!
10/23/10

Anonymous said...

This book is great! I loved it! Especially because im Mexican and i know alot about crossing the border! (not that i ever did ilegally) but its an inspireing book to read if your a dreamer and believer :)

Anonymous said...

i love this book those people who said that this book is boring should start readding more or read kids books but this book gives an extraordinary example of living for some people..